Thursday, May 26, 2011

New Music... Bettye Lavette Sings Talking Old Soldiers


 
Why hello, say can I buy you another glass of beer
Well thanks a lot that's kind of you, it's nice to know you care
These days there's so much going on
No one seems to want to know
I may be just an old soldier to some
But I know how it feels to grow old

Yeah that's right, you can see me here most every night
You'll always see me staring at the walls & at the lights
Funny, I remember “Oh it's years ago” I'd say
I'd stand at that bar with my friends who've passed away
& drink 3 times the beer that I can drink today
Yes, I know how it feels to grow old

I know what they're saying son
There goes old man Joe again
Well, I may be mad at all I've been enough
To make a man go out of his brains
Well do they know what it's like
To have a graveyard as a friend
`Cause that's where they are boy, all of them
Don't seem likely I'll get friends like that again

Well it's time I moved off
But it's been great just listening to you
& I might even see you next time I'm passing through
You're right there's so much going on
No one seems to want to know
So keep well, keep well old friend
& have another drink on me
Just ignore all the others
You got your memories
You got your memories
 

Bernie Taupin
1970

No comments:

Post a Comment