Sunday, October 28, 2007

Assets


Relationships are assets. Skills are assets. Things are assets.

If we use things to secure and build relationships, then there is something about the process that is raised to a different level. I live in a world with so many things that it is difficult to keep my eye on the prize. At the end of the contest, we are judged by how we have loved and made a difference helping others... not by how much stuff we have.

As I write this I am amazed at how I don't even listen to my own writing. It is like there is some program running in my brain to isolate me from words like that. I have been so conditioned to hear the words, and nod my head, that I lose track of the actions which generate value.

In my corporate world, I make decisions to keep what works and discard what doesn't. I understand better than most the volatility of an organization which prides itself on its ability to change. It can create instability but it is also a huge asset. The company can adjust.

I look around at churches, schools, clubs, and even families who can't adjust to the world as it changes around them. Ideas such as gay marriage, universal healthcare, and religion tear us apart.

How about we all start using our assets to build relationships. Seriously.. What if every family devoted a specified percentage of time and money to doing things for people around them. What if our first reaction when we enter a disagreement was to just "give up"... In all likelihood it isn't worth the fight.
How can we track the "value" of these sorts of investments. We try new people, places and things.. if they don't work, we move on. no harm done... To do this, we have to be willing to get out of our comfort zone and seek something greater than ourselves. We have to rely on a joining context that surpasses all that we can do..

God is there and waiting to help us with this. If we just ask, the way materializes. No guarantee that we like it, but then again, we don't have to be the captain of the ship, we have to get on board and play our part as part of the crew. We become the asset that can then be used to accomplish work as God invests in us and through us in HIS world.

No comments:

Post a Comment