Saturday, November 11, 2006

Carpe Diem

Yesterday I watched some of Good Will Hunting. Last week, I talked with a friend about my favorite movies... Dead Poet's Society was at the top of the list.

The struggle to find yourself and make a difference in the world is central to both. Being, doing, caring. all interesting things to talk about, but there are no real answers.

I was just watching some movie which supposedly quoted John Lennon. "Life is what happens to you when you are making plans" I didn't know the quote, but I do believe it.

Today was about just living in our world. We spent time with friends that we haven't really been close to in many years. He is preaching from 1 Peter 2:9-11 tomorrow, so that text is on my mind. When I read it, I include vs 13 because it seems relevant after this week in VA.

1 Peter 2:9-13 (The Message)
But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God's instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.

Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they'll be won over to God's side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives.

Make the Master proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God's emissaries for keeping order. It is God's will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of the fools who think you're a danger to society. Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government.


Man, I have trouble with that last bit. I don't think the government is particularly good at their jobs. For that matter, even my church isn't good at its self government. We are in a mess.

That is why the first part is so important. We need to be salt and light in our world through "being Christians" first and our actions will show out that purpose if we are true. We must be responsible with what we have been given. We must show that we will make the hard decisions when presented with options.

Help one another whenever possible in whatever way possible. Sometimes that means doing things, other times it means just being there so that you can spend the day or just a few hours with friends.

For me, I plan to live each day to the fullest, partaking of what God has blessed me with. That blessing includes the good things and the bad. My judgement is impaired because of my perspective. I admit that. Through the holy spirit, I can connect with God directly and fulfill my calling as a priest in this world.

I can only live for the day. God is the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment