Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hearts and Minds


We have heard a great deal in the past few years about "winning the hearts and minds" of the people of Iraq, Afganistan, etc. As I drove into work this morning I thought about this in the context of ministry and the music of the Da Capo Institute. How exactly do you do this? I guess the answer to that is truly the question.

As a classical musician, I think that maybe we sometimes lose the right focus on reaching our audience's hearts AND minds. I wonder if we continually approach both. Maybe I am referring to my own up and down approach to the discipline necessary to use my music effectively...I tend to plan towards the heart, others often focus on the mind. To be successful, we must have both and we must find a way to make music elite, but never elitist.

Last year's key note sermon at the Lasker Summer Music festival addressed some of this as Dr. David Adkins eloquently addressed the integration of art and faith. Click here to read a transcript of his words.

Dr. Charles Hulin has also written some great words of wisdom on this front in his Christmas 2006 address.

As I have worked to add a wonderful series of articles to the Lasker website in the past few weeks I have been overwhelmed and humbled by the contributions of this wonderful group of scholars and performers. I would encourage you to read a bit when you have time, as these articles are inspiring and instructional all at the same time.

LASKER FESTIVAL ARTICLES

I am encouraged by passages from Jeremiah. I apply them to my ministry and my music and these passages formed the base of our approach to music ministry in the past few months.

There is a continuing role for the pursuit of musical excellence in today’s non-musical world. Communities need a framework to pursue musical excellence in a world that they understand and can relate to…It is our job as professional and even amateur musicians to provide that.

Jeremiah 33:3&6 (From THE MESSAGE)
Call to me and I will answer you. I’ll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.
“But now take another look. I’m going to give this city a thorough renovation, working a true healing inside and out. I’m going to show them life whole, life brimming with blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment