Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer Song #29... Summer, Highland Falls


They say that these are not the best of times
But they're the only times I've ever known
& I believe there is a time for meditation
In cathedrals of our own

Now I have seen that sad surrender
 in my lovers' eyes
I can only stand apart and sympathize
For we are always what our situations hand us
It's either sadness or euphoria

& so we'll argue & we'll compromise
& realize that nothing's ever changed
For all our mutual experience
Our separate conclusions are the same

Now we are forced to recognize our inhumanity
A reason coexists with our insanity
& so we choose between reality & madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

How thoughtlessly we dissipate our energies
Perhaps we don't fulfill each other's fantasies
& as we stand upon the ledges of our lives
With our respective similarities
It's either sadness or euphoria

Billy Joel
1976

No comments:

Post a Comment