Sunday, June 1, 2008

"Institutionalized Community"


Who sets the rules for your community? Organized institutions have to have rules, I get that and I agree, but the "rule setting" part always seems to be where the rub comes in.

We all need a group, we to varying degrees are willing to change to gain the value of the support. We seek to change and innovate, but we aren't willing to accept diversity of idea and action.

Church is an institutionalized community quite literally by design. As I write that, I get a bad feeling. Not sure why, but I do all the same. "Institutionalized community feels sterile, structured, and inherently impersonal. Those things tend to be the antithesis of alive in the spirit, innovative, and overflowing with love.

The bad feeling is that I am contributing to exactly what I fear. How do others outside of my "circle" view me. In my zest for action and results, I have trouble fully embracing the diversity and elegance of thought surrounding me in so many channels.

When we take control, we steer the ship towards the middle, and wallah.. like magic, what we invariably breed is mediocrity of the masses. How do we include and value everyone and still seek excellence? Tall order.. if I figure this one out, I'll write more.. for now, I am befuzzled with my own thinking.

God, who gets invited to dinner at your place? How do we get on your guest list? "Don't hurt your friend, don't blame your neighbor; despise the despicable. "Keep your word even when it costs you, make an honest living, never take a bribe "You'll never get blacklisted if you live like this."

"Walk straight, act right, tell the truth. --- Psalm 15 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment