Saturday, September 9, 2006

Intersection and Integration


I am the intersection and integration point for the biggest network I know. We spend our lives trying to build systems that create networks. We call it communicating and community. In the IT world, how well you handle the intersections and integration combined with scalability and reliability are the keys to your success. It is not so different with my "social" networks. Da Capo is a mechanism for me to reconnect and build new networks within a more localized geography, connecting specifically musicians.


hmmmm.. could be a lot of thinking here if I apply this social networking principle to my other networks as well. I will have to think on whether there is application in building other communities of practice. Monastic communities have a long history in our world. The trick is to keep the scale small enough to remain relevant and still maintain value without becoming exclusionary. There is a huge lesson in there for today's churches...

I don't always want to connect with everyone in the world, much less communicate. That is natural I think. Keeping a network manageable is a huge undertaking. Telecommunication terms like least cost routing, error correction, dynamic routing, static routing, access control lists, firewall, and local exchange company versus private branch exchange bring up metaphors that are interesting when applied to people. People must intersect and integrate, but we have to do it intelligently, respectfully, and with forgiveness because we all make mistakes. Networks have to scale. Am I a server, a switch, a router, a database, or an access device like a desktop or laptop.

I have spent a lot of time on a site called Classical Lounge in the last week. I found friends from my time in the music world which I wish I had remained in touch with. Maybe I will make some new "connections"

People I am pround to have studied and learned with and from...I don't intersect with these people any more.. what a shame...My connections weren't reliable enough to survive the past 10 years.

Sari Gruber
Caren Levine
Hee Kyung Juhn
Lester Lynch
Scott Dettra
Sarah Pelletier
Karen Lindstedt
Steven Condy
Kyle Pfortmiller
Brad Diamond
Edie Yeager
Elem Eley
Diana Crane
Mark Husey
David Newman
Maurice Boyer
Andy Hoke

This list is so much longer than I can remember right now. By writing it down, perhaps I can enable better reconnections with these people. The network won't rebuild itself. Do I want it badly enough to accept that many of these people will reject me now. I am ready and willing to risk it? Is this a self serving exercise in trying to recapture a person and persona that I no longer AM? The truth is in there somewhere.


If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand. --Philippians 2:1 (The Message)


Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and is characterized by getting along with others. It is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings, not hot one day and cold the next, not two-faced. You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor.
--James 3:17 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment